Thursday, September 15, 2011

Disclaimer

I start this off as a disclaimer, but what I'm referring to is religion and my belief system. The reason for this is because I was brought up in a very religious Christian home and often my belief's come out in my conversations or this blog. I was raised as a Mormon, or a member of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I enjoy sharing these beliefs which I'm not at all afraid to talk about or share. You've probably seen one of our Temples too.



I also shared my beliefs at the Mormon.org website found here:

I'm a Mormon.

Being a Mormon, I believe in the doctrine of the Mormon Church, but I'm definitely not close-minded and probably at times not traditional in typical Mormon Culture. For Example, my best friend is a Muslim from Pakistan and I think one of the reasons we are such good friends is that we discuss religion and quite often too. We became pretty good friends through a school project and then like other friends, found similar likes and interests and built a strong friendly relationship upon that. As we shared our beliefs, I found that there were a great deal of similarities across the religions. Our moral conduct, how we view chastity, dressing in a modest manner, fasting was important, prayer was important, are all shared beliefs with some differences.
The main differences I've found have been through the being Jesus The Christ. As a Christian, I believe Jesus Christ to be my Savior who was resurrected after being three days on the cross. Through his selfless act, I can receive forgiveness of my sins and as I rely on Him, I've received strength and the power to do a great many things.
According to what I've learned, Muslims believe that Christ did not die on the cross, but survived and one rare account even tells of his travels to India where his tomb can be found (this is a small sects beliefs - there are many forms of Islam, just like Christianity). They believe in some of Christ's teachings, but consider him to be a messenger and bring life and love to all around them. I totally respect the religion Islam for the Spirituality that it instills within its members.

I find religious similarities fascinating to me and consider it an even greater sign that there is a God, that he has a Plan for us and that our lives will not end at death. There are Universal Truths out there and we are not meant to walk alone. I'm talking about the values of hard work, virtue, chastity, sobriety, charity, honesty, faith, prayer, having vision, goals, and whatever other values are universal and good and holy. They strengthen an individual and build character and are incredibly important in life.  I believe in these principles because I follow them and I've tested them in my life and found their application to lead to a far more productive life than anything else I could do.
The founder of the Mormon church , Joseph Smith (who saw God and Jesus Christ as two separate beings) once said (paraphrasing) that the First Principle of the Gospel is for every man to know the character of God and to have Him revealed unto us. I believe that knowing God is purely individual, but that Religion provides a means to come to know Him. I also believe that the Mormon Church, different from the culture, provides the best pathway to come to truly know God and how He deals with man.
I'm always open to discussion, but I hope that as much as people like to talk that their hearts are open to hear. As Paul says in 1 Corinthians 2:14, "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." Seek after God because He is there and does listen to a simple heart-felt prayer. My prayer is that you find Him, not intellectually but Spiritually as Paul suggests, even if it means you have to change some things, just to do so.





3 comments:

  1. Questions and statements (in order of your post):

    1) What do you consider is a traditional Mormon culture? I don't think you've ever brought up that term before...

    2) Not to sound picky, but I'm an Ahmadi Muslim. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but our beliefs are very different than from those of Sunni's and Shi'ia's. In fact, it's mainly Ahmadi Muslims who believe of Prophet Jesus' travel to India in search of the lost tribes. So you might want to be careful about that comment, since not all Muslims believe that.

    3)I really liked your statement, " I believe that knowing God is purely individual, but that Religion provides a means to come to know Him." I feel the same because religion is what teaches us to find Him, but is up to us as individuals to actually seek God out. We can sit through the lessons taught to us, but without applying them, we won't get anywhere.

    Overall, nice insight --- you should open up more often! ^^

    ~little t

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Basically Mormon culture is found where lots of Mormons are found, particularly Utah and North South longitudinal areas from Salt Lake City.
    A culture is a culture, with its own ideas, way of thinking, shared popular beliefs and what not.
    2. I tried to arrange my statement about that belief that was objective.
    3. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) I know what culture means. But I've never heard it applied to a religion. That's why when I explain a lot of things I either say my religion or culture. Sure a lot if cultural ideals can be based off the majority religion in a certain area but I always thought three was a difference. Get me?!

    2) Yeah I can see what your saying but there are some Muslims who do believe Prophet Jesus was risen to the heavens and are waiting for his return as you are.... so that's why the statement wouldn't work by stating "Muslims believe". You still with me?

    3) De nada

    ~ little t

    ReplyDelete